Jun 29, 2010

No one wants to walk


Update for Jdrf walk 2010 :
Happy Hawkes team is- N8, Nan, Mema.
Donations: $50.00 Thanks Jan

I was so excited to sign up to walk this year, until no one else wanted to. I keep forgetting everyone isn't married to someone with diabetes! Regardless of that, on last years walk it was heartbreaking to see all the young children diagnosed with type 1 (juvenile) diabetes.
I often forget the hardships it has on families and kids. N8 is always so great about not complaining I sometimes even forget he has it! Until nights like last night- he's probably going to give me a hard time for sharing due to peoples concern, but it's the reality of diabetes. Back to last night, about 12:45am I wake up to see N8 extremely sweaty and low- I'm not sure how low but low enough to drink nasty liquid glucose, juice and half a can of strawberry lemonade. I had to run upstairs for the lemonade... After all that, all I can do is wait and hope he gets on the up sooner than later! During times like this I often think about how hard it must be for a little kid to go through that same experience.
Most of type 1 patients are children. The more people that walk the more awareness there will be! Do it for the kids, for cute sweet N8, and for yourself! It feels good. It's surprisingly fun (@ least I think it is ). If you really can't walk, legs painted on whatever - please make a donation $ any amount is great! Go to Jdrf
Sign up or donate!